As a child, were you taught a specific way to pray – holding hands just so, eyes cast up or down, head bowed or reaching up, at a certain time of day? Today, Pastor Linda shows us how we can pray always, not just in the way we learned as a child, but in other ways that help us engage with God throughout the day. See if you can find a new way to pray that suits the person you are today.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Our Scripture Reading is 1 Thessalonians 5:14-25. The reading for today is from 1st Thessalonians, the first letter Paul wrote to the young church at Thessalonica in northern Greece in about 51 A.D. It’s one of the first letters of Paul that has been found. After visiting the church there for several weeks, Paul went to Athens. He sent his associate Timothy back to Thessalonica to help stabilize them, then Timothy rejoined Paul in Corinth and reported what he found. Apparently they had a lot of questions about the end times, and needed guidance on how to work together in the church. Today’s passage addresses the whole church, giving them basic moral standards, praying for them, and requesting prayer for him and his associates.
Good Morning Morgan Hill featured an interview by “Katie Cupcake” (Denise Melroy) of guest “Paul” (John Braslin) about Paul’s story of becoming a follower of Jesus, and of how he advocated praying without ceasing. This episode of Good Morning Morgan Hill is brought to you by Bill and Marilyn’s Excellent Adventure in Acting and Directing.
The message today from Pastor Linda is “Pray Always.”
Pastor Linda demonstrated several ways to pray, so that we could be in an attitude of prayer at any time of day or night. These methods are listed below, with links for more information. They are not specific to any one religion or denomination, but may be practiced by people of any faith.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “From the Rising of the Sun” words and music anonymous. Public domain.
- “Seek Ye First” words and music by Karen Lafferty. ©1972 CCCM Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.); Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #1352, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Saranam, Saranam” traditional Pakistani, words trans. by D.T. Niles, music arr. by Shanti Rasanayagam. CCLI song #5177916, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I Sing Praises to Your Name” words and music by Terry macAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love” words and music by Peter Scholtes. © Music: 1966 F.E.L. Publications. Assigned 1991 The Lorenz Corporation (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #26997, CCLI License #2718708.
- “May You Run and Not Be Weary” words and music by Paul Murakami and Handt Hanson. © 1991 Changing Church Forum, Inc.. CCLI song #807099, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.