New Year’s Day is often used to mark a renewal of one’s life, commitments, and relationships. We make New Year’s resolutions or other promises, often with a plan to change our behavior for the better. In London in the late 1700’s, New Year’s Day often found Methodists in a Covenant Service, which was developed by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, as an invitation for participants to renew their covenant with God. Today’s service includes a Covenant Service as a way for us to start the New Year with that same sense of renewal. It finishes with the service of Holy Communion.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Our Scripture Reading is 2 Kings 23:1-3. Today’s reading, from the second book of Kings, tells of King Josiah and the covenant he made with God.
Today Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook leads us in John Wesley’s Covenant Service.
The full text of the Covenant Service used today is available here, “Renewing our Covenant”.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “‘Twas in the Moon of Wintertime” words by St. Jean de Brebeuf, trans. by Jesse Edgar Middleton, music French Canadian melody. Public domain. CCLI song #1074845, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This is a Day of New Beginnings” words by Brian Wren, music by Carlton R. Young. © Words: 1983, 1987 Hope Publishing Company, Music: 1987 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #231043, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This is the Day” words from Psalm 118:24, adapt. By Les Garrett; music by Les Garrett. © 1967, 1980 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #32754, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I Sing Praises to Your Name” TFWS #2037” words and music by Terry macAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Go, Tell It On the Mountain” Afro-American spiritual, words adapt. by John W. Work, Jr, music arr. by Willaim Farley Smith. © Public domain. CCLI song #29080, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.