Our 5pm Christmas Eve service told of Jesus’s birth through music and readings. The readings from the gospel of Luke include the heart of the Christmas story, from the journey of Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem to the celebration of Jesus’s birth by the lowly shepherds and magnificent angels. Familiar carols illustrate the readings and add to the beauty of the season.
The service ends with the lighting of candles while singing Silent Night, celebrating the Eve of the birth of our Savior.
The service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Service credits and copyrights
- “Carol of the Bells” words by Peter J. Wilhousky, music by M. Leontovich, arr. by Peter J. Wilhousky. © 1936 Carl Fischer LLC. CCLI song #69150, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus” words by Charles Wesley, music by Rowland H. Prichard, harm. from The English Hymnal. Public domain. CCLI song #31999, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Love Has Come” words by Ken Bible, music traditional French tune. © 1996, 1997 LNWhymns.com (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #2060820, CCLI License #2718708.
- “‘Twas in the Moon of Wintertime” words by St. Jean de Brebeuf, trans. by Jesse Edgar Middleton, music French Canadian melody. Public domain. CCLI song #1074845, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Once in Royal David’s City” music by Cecil Frances Alexander, music by Henry J. Gauntlett. Public domain. CCLI song #197156, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Glory to God in the Highest (Canticle of God’s Glory”) words from Luke 2:14 and John 1:29, mucid old Scottish chant. Public domain.
- “Sing We Now of Christmas” words and music trad. French carol, harm. by Martin Shaw. Public domain. CCLI song #6006536, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Silent Night” music by Franz Gruber, music by Joseph Mohn, trans. by John F. Young. Public domain. CCLI song #27862, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.