Yes, it’s that time of year again – the beginning of our stewardship campaign! God has entrusted into our care our money as well as our talents and time, and expects us to be good stewards of those resources. Even though some folks find it uncomfortable to talk about money in church, Pastor Linda notes in today’s service that it’s said that the only church that doesn’t need money is a dead church. MHUMC is very much alive – but it needs continued contributions from many people to remain lively and vibrant. Will you pledge your support?
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Our Scripture Reading is Luke 6:38 NRSV. Today’s passage comes from the Gospel of Luke. Early in Jesus’s ministry, just after gathering his disciples, he went with them to a plain, and found himself surrounded by a crowd anxious to hear him and be healed. He spoke to them of the Kingdom of God. This Sermon on the Plain has portions that match the Sermon on the Mount in the Gospel of Matthew, but has additional material and may be closer to the original source. In this passage, Jesus is speaking of forgiving without limit, and also the benefit of giving.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Pastor Linda is “The Blessings of Giving.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “Hymn of Promise” words and music by Natalie Sleeth. © 1986 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #126529, CCLI License #2718708.
- “The Gift of Love” words by Hal Hopson, music trad. English melody, adapt. by Hal Hopson. © Words: 1972 Hope Publishing Company; Music: © 1972, 2015, 2018 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #67327, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This Little Light” words and music Afro-American spiritual. Words public domain, music © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #5305434, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Freely, Freely” words and music by Carol Owens. © 1972 Bud John Songs, Inc. (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing). CCLI song #13209, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Simple Gifts” words and music by Elder Joseph Brackett, arr. By Bruce Inman. Arrangement © 2012 Musicnotes, Inc.
- “Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow” words by Thomas Ken, music from Geistliche Kirchengesänge. Public domain). CCLI song #1364029, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Let Us Now Depart in Thy Peace” New Mexican folk song, adapt. by Lee Hastings Bristol, Jr.. Adapt. © 1961 Concordia Publishing House.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.