On World Communion Sunday, Pastor Linda invites us to consider how being Christian is like being in a club – joining with others that have a common interest in being followers of Jesus and being part of the Kingdom of God – but without the exclusive nature of many “elite” clubs. As United Methodists, we invite ALL to be part of our community, with the invitation of “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors.”
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Our Scripture Reading is Mark 9:38-50 NRSV. Jesus is getting frustrated with his disciples, who seem to be on a bit of a power trip (as evidenced by the situation where they got upset that a non-disciple was casting out demons in Jesus’s name). They don’t seem to get it, that ALL are welcome in the Kingdom of God. A relationship with God is more important than anything else.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Pastor Linda is “The Best Club in the World.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “More Like You” words and music by Scott Wesley Brown. © 1997 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #2145051, CCLI License #2718708.
- “We Walk by Faith” words by Henry Alford, music attr. to Hugh Wilson. Public domain. CCLI song #3613764, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This Little Light” words and music Afro-American spiritual. Words public domain, music © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #5305434, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying” words and music by Ken Medema. © 1973 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #22829, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Be Thou My Vision” Irish folk melody. Arrangement © 2012 Musicnotes, Inc.
- “Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow” words by Thomas Ken, music from Geistliche Kirchengesänge. Public domain). CCLI song #1364029, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Let Us Now Depart in Thy Peace” New Mexican folk song, adapt. by Lee Hastings Bristol, Jr.. Adapt. © 1961 Concordia Publishing House.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.