Today we are surrounded by the beautiful quilts of the SVQA quilt show. Quilting is an art that combines design, color theory, precision, mechanical expertise, patience, and more, as today’s speaker Trish Catalano found. She shares with us a story of things re-learned about God while learning to do quilting.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Note: The first 13 minutes of the video are without sound.
Our Scripture Reading is Philippians 4:4-9 (The Message). The church in Philippi, in Macedonia, was the first known Christian congregation in what we now know as Europe. The members were mostly Gentile, and were the major supporters of Paul’s ministry. This book appears to be a compilation of at least two letters written by Paul from Rome while he was in prison near the end of his life. In the passage we’re reading today, Paul is beginning to conclude his letter by encouraging the church to be united, rejoice without anxiety, and think and act with purity.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from lay speaker Trish Catalano is “Top 10 Things I Have (Re)Learned About God From Quilting.”
In searching for inspiration for today, knowing that we’d be surrounded by the beautiful quilts, Trish found an article written by Sarah Henrich, Professor Emerita of New Testament, Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota. That is the text of today’s sermon; you can read it here.
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “Saranam” traditional Pakistani, words trans. by D.T. Niles, music arr. by Shanti Rasanayagam. CCLI song #5177916, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Shine, Jesus, Shine” words and music by Graham Kendrick. Public domain. © 1987 Make Way Music (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #30426, CCLI License #2718708.
- “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love” words and music by Peter Scholtes. © Music: 1966 F.E.L. Publications. Assigned 1991 The Lorenz Corporation (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #26997, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Come Away With Me” words by Mary Nelson Keithahn, music by John D. Horman. © 1997 Abingdon Press (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #2496559, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” words and music anonymous. Public domain. CCLI song #28263, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I Sing Praises to Your Name” TFWS #2037” words and music by Terry macAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Bind Us Together” words and music by Bob Gillman. © 1977 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing). CCLI song #1228, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.