It’s so easy to get caught up in planning for the future that we forget to establish a solid foundation today. In today’s message, Rev. Betsy Schwarzentraub shares with us her perspective on having Jesus Christ as our foundation, and how that enables us to build for future generations in ministry sharing the Good News.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format. Note that closed captioning is available when “CC” appears in white at the bottom of the video panel. Click the CC to see the text; as it is done with an automated service, there may be errors in transcription.
Our Scripture Readings are 1 Corinthians 3:10-11, 16 and 1 Peter 2:4-5. The readings for today come from two letters to the early churches. The first reading is from Paul to the church in Corinth, while the second is attributed to the apostle Peter, probably edited by Paul’s friend Silas. Using analogies of construction which they would be familiar with, they both encourage the early churches to be strong by having a solid foundation.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Betsy Schwarzentraub is “Building on the Foundation.”
We are honored to host Rev. Betsy Schwarzentraub, author, consultant, and the former Director of Stewardship for the United Methodist General Board of Discipleship, at our September 18 worship service. Following the worship service, we’ve invited her to provide information about how we may set up an endowment account for the church, to receive gifts and bequests and to provide long-term support to the church’s mission.
Rev. Betsy is the author of two books, “Tossed in Time: Steering by the Christian Seasons” and “Growing Generous Souls: Becoming Grace-Filled Stewards.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here.
Credits and copyrights
- “The Church’s One Foundation” words by Samuel J. Stone, music by Samuel Sebastian Wesley. Public domain. CCLI song #55377, CCLI License #2718708.
- “They’ll Know We Are Christians By Our Love” words and music by Peter Scholtes. © Music: 1966 F.E.L. Publications. Assigned 1991 The Lorenz Corporation (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #26997, CCLI License #2718708.
- “We Bring the Sacrifice of Praise” words and music by Kirk Dearman. © 1984 New Spring (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #9990, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Like a Child” words and music by Daniel Charles Damon. © 1993 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #1702313, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I Sing Praises to Your Name” words and music by Terry MacAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Bind Us Together” words and music by Bob Gillman. © 1977 Thankyou Music (Admin. by Capitol CMG Publishing). CCLI song #1228, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.