We are in the first of a 4-week sermon series on compassion. Think back – do you recall a time when you felt compassion from someone else, or witnessed an act of compassion? What made it different from empathy, pity, or condescension? How does one develop compassion? We’ll see how Jesus modeled compassion, and consider how those examples apply to today’s world.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in video format in its entirety (except for the last 10 minutes).
Our Scripture Reading is Mark 5:21-43. This reading tells the story of Jesus’s compassion as he restored a girl to life and healed a woman.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “Compassion.”
Pastor Linda referenced two books in her message that you may want to read for more information about compassion:
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here. Information is included on donating to United Methodist Committee on Relief for providing relief in Ukraine and around the world in situations of disaster and humanitarian assistance.
Credits and copyrights
- “Healer of Our Every Ill” words and music by Marty Haugen. © 2011 Curb Word Music (Admin. by WC Music Corp.). CCLI song #6263960, CCLI License #2718708.
- “O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing” words by Charles Wesley, music by Carl G. Glaser, arr. by Lowell Mason. Public domain. CCLI song #1369, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This is the Day” words from Psalm 118:24, adapt. By Les Garrett; music by Les Garrett. © 1967, 1980 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #32754, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Something Beautiful” words by Gloria Gaither, music by William J. Gaither. © 1971 William J. Gaither, Inc. (Admin. by Gaither Copyright Management). CCLI song #18060, CCLI License #2718708.
- “He Has Made Me Glad” words and music by Leona Von Brethorst. © 1976 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #1493, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Give Thanks” words and music by Henry Smith. © 1978 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #20285, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Shalom to You” words by Elise S. Eslinger; music anon., harm. by Carlton R. Young. © 1983 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #114122, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.