In our cultural history, there are many legends of special individuals who have become the people’s hope to save them, fix all the problems, and bring justice and peace. Today, on the eve of the United States Independence Day, we consider three such individuals, and how they deflected that hope that was put on them into leadership by a diverse group of people who could do much more than a single person could.
Today’s service includes Holy Communion.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Our Scripture Reading is John 6:1-15. This reading tells the story of how Jesus and his followers fed several thousand people, and how he then responded to their push to make him their political savior.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “Celebrating Independence: Jesus, Arthur, and George.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here. Information is included on donating to United Methodist Committee on Relief for providing relief in Ukraine and around the world in situations of disaster and humanitarian assistance.
Credits and copyrights
- “Stand By Me” words and music by Charles Albert Tindley, music arr. by William Farley Smith. Words: Public Domain; Music: © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #1208398, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Lord, I LIft Your Name on High” words and music by Rick Founds. © 1989 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #117947, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This is the Day” words from Psalm 118:24, adapt. By Les Garrett; music by Les Garrett. © 1967, 1980 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #32754, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Fill My Cup, Lord” words and music by Richard Blanchard. © 1959 Richard Blanchard. Assigned 1964 Curb Word Music (Admin. by WC Music Corp.). CCLI song #15946, CCLI License #2718708.
- “O America” words and music by Brendan Graham and William Joseph Schwartz III. © 2008 Peermusic Publishing.
- “Give Thanks” words and music by Henry Smith. © 1978 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #20285, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Shalom to You” words by Elise S. Eslinger; music anon., harm. by Carlton R. Young. © 1983 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #114122, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.