In the weeks following Easter, many of Jesus’s followers went back to their usual lives – fishing, tending households, traveling, eating together. But Jesus wasn’t done with them! Today we have the disciples catching a boat-load of fish (with Jesus’s surprise help), and during their beach BBQ Jesus tells them – and us – what is expected of them as his disciples now.
Today’s service includes Holy Communion.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Our Scripture Reading is from John 21:1-19 NRSV. The third appearance of Jesus to his disciples after the resurrection was on the shore of the Sea of Tiberius, also known as the Sea of Galilee. While the disciples had been out fishing all night, they caught nothing – until a stranger on the shore instructed them to try one more time. They then caught their fill, and figured out that the stranger was Jesus. After their beach-side breakfast, Jesus had a heart-to-heart with Simon Peter, followed with the instruction to “follow me.”
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “Feed, Tend, Feed.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here. Information is included on donating to United Methodist Committee on Relief for providing relief in Ukraine and around the world in situations of disaster and humanitarian assistance.
Credits and copyrights
- “Cry of My Heart” words and music by Terry Butler. ©1991 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing. CCLI song #844980, CLI License #2718708.
- “The Summons” words by John Bell, music traditional Scottish. © 1987 WGRG, c/o Iona Community, Glasgow, Scotland (Admin. by Wild Goose Resource Group). CCLI song #1040329, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Alleluia, Alleluia” words and music by Donald Fishel. ©1973 International Liturgy Publications. CCLI song #32376, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Jesus Calls Us” words by Cecil Frances Alexander, music by William H. Jude. © Public domain. CCLI song #68900, CCLI License #2718708.
- “In Remembrance of Me” words by Ragan Courtney, music by Buryl Red. © 1972 Broadman Press, assigned to Van Ness Press, Inc. CCLI song #25156, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Glorify Thy Name” words and music by Donna Adkins. © 1976, 1981 CCCM Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.), Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #1383, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.