What’s all this about “Lent”? The term is one we hear at this time of year, but it seems to be complicated with rules and traditions. Through March and up to Palm Sunday (April 10), we will be in a series that explains Lent and connects it to things we have experienced or understand. Today, we will see how God works with us in times of suffering.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Good Morning Morgan Hill features the story of Moses, after he took the Israelites out of Egypt and showed them how God provided for them. Today’s program is brought to you by our sponsor, MHUMC Trustees, recommending all those wanting to fix up the church coordinate with them so that we can “repaint and thin no more.”
Our Scripture Reading is from 2 Corinthians 1:4-6 NRSV. 2 Corinthians was written by Paul to the church in Corinth around 55 CE. In this passage, Paul is thankful for God’s mercies and comfort that have been given to him in his times of suffering, strengthening his faith and connecting him more closely to Jesus who experienced even greater suffering.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “You may not know about Lent, but you know about… suffering.”
See this week’s announcements and bulletin notes here. Information is included on donating to United Methodist Committee on Relief for providing relief in Ukraine and around the world in situations of disaster and humanitarian assistance.
Credits and copyrights
- “In His Time” words and music by Diane Ball. © 1978 CCCM Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.), Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #25981, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” words and music by anonymous. Public domain. CCLI song #28263, CCLI License #2718708.
- “They’ll Know We Are Christians” by Peter Scholtes. © 1966 F.E.L. Publications. Assigned 1991 The Lorenz Corporation (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #26997, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Saranam” traditional Pakistani, words trans. by D.T. Niles, music arr. by Shanti Rasanayagam. CCLI song #5177916, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Come Sunday” words and music by (Duke) Edward Kennedy Ellington. © 1963, 1966 Tempo Music Publications, Inc. (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.) CCLI song #1825269, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow” words by Thomas Ken, adapt. by Gilbert H. Vieira, music from Geistliche Kirchengesänge, harm. by Ralph Vaughan Williams. © Words: 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.), Music: Public Domain. CCLI song #3063266, CCLI License #2718708.
- “The Lord Bless and Keep You” words and music by Jim Strathdee. © 1981 Strathdee Music (Admin. by Desert Flower Music). CCLI song #7152110, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.