What’s all this about “Lent”? The term is one we hear at this time of year, but it seems to be complicated with rules and traditions. Through March and up to Palm Sunday (April 10), we will be in a series that explains Lent and connects it to things we have experienced or understand. Today, we will see the connection between Lent and fighting temptation. Today’s service also includes Holy Communion.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Good Morning Morgan Hill features the story of Satan and how he (unsuccessfully) tempted Jesus. This program is brought to you by our sponsor, Catalano’s Toastmasters Inc.
Our Scripture Reading is from Luke 4:1-13. Jesus retreated to the desert, accompanied by the Holy Spirit – and was tempted by the devil by 40 days. Instead of succumbing to the temptations, he counters the devil’s offers.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “You may not know about Lent, but you know about… fighting temptation.”
Today’s service includes Holy Communion.
See this week’s announcements here. Information is included on donating to United Methodist Committee on Relief for providing relief in Ukraine and around the world in situations of disaster and humanitarian assistance.
Credits and copyrights
- “Dust and Ashes” words by Brian Wren, music by David Haas. © 1989 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #263554, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days” words by Claudia F. Hernaman, music USA folk melody, arr. by Annabel Morris Buchanan, harm. by Charles H. Webb. Words are Public Domain, music © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #2312509, CCLI License #2718708.
- “They’ll Know We Are Christians” by Peter Scholtes. © 1966 F.E.L. Publications. Assigned 1991 The Lorenz Corporation (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #26997, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Children of the Heavenly Father” words by Caroline V. Sandell-Berg, trans. by Ernst W. Olson, music traditional Swedish melody. Public domain. CCLI song #7106689, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Come Share the Lord” words and music by Bryan Jeffery Leech. © 1984, 1987 Fred Bock Music Company. CCLI song #106408, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow” words by Thomas Ken, adapt. by Gilbert H. Vieira, music from Geistliche Kirchengesänge, harm. by Ralph Vaughan Williams. © Words: 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.), Music: Public Domain. CCLI song #3063266, CCLI License #2718708.
- “The Lord Bless and Keep You” words and music by Jim Strathdee. © 1981 Strathdee Music (Admin. by Desert Flower Music). CCLI song #7152110, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.