We are in a 4-part sermon series on “Can We Forgive?”. In Christianity, we are called to forgive – yet it can be so difficult, and it can take years to accomplish. This series will look at the reasons we forgive, the steps of forgiveness, the myths surrounding forgiveness, and the benefits of forgiveness. In Part 2, we hear Jesus’s perspective on the importance of forgiveness, as he weaves it into his template for prayer that we call “The Lord’s Prayer.” Today’s service also includes Holy Communion.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Our Scripture Reading is from Matthew 6:9-15. Jesus provides a template for prayer. In it he notes that we must acknowledge our transgressions and forgive others so that God forgives us. While this is not strictly true (God will forgive us regardless), it emphasizes the need for us to forgive others even though they may not confess their transgression to us.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “Can We Forgive?” Part 2.
Today’s service includes Holy Communion.
See this week’s announcements here.
Credits and copyrights
- “Sanctuary” words and music by John Thompson and Randy Scruggs. © 1982 Full Armor Publishing Company (Admin. by Peermusic III, Ltd.), Whole Armor Publishing Company (Admin. by Peermusic III, Ltd.). CCLI song #24140, CCLI License #2718708.
- “We Are Singing” words and music trad. South African. Public domain. CCLI song #5699391, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Seek Ye First” words and music by Karen Lafferty. © 1972 CCCM Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.); Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #1352, CCLI License #2718708.
- “The Lord’s Prayer” words from Matthew 6:9-13, adapt. by J. Jefferson Cleveland and Verolga Nix; music West Indian folk tune, arr. by Carlton R. Young. Words © 1981 Abingdon Press (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.); Music © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (Adminby Music Services, Inc.) CCLI song #3382356, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Here is Bread, Here is Wine” words and music by Graham Kendrick. © 1992 Make Way Music, admin. by Integrity’s Hosanna! Music. CCLI song #983717, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I’m Gonna Live So God Can Use Me” words, music African American spiritual. Public domain.
- “Shalom to You” words by Elise S. Eslinger; music anonymous, harmony by Carlton R. Young. © 1983 The United Methodist Publishing House (Admin. by Music Services, Inc.). CCLI song #114122, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.