Do you remember your baptism? If you were an infant or small child, you might not, although you may recall seeing the baptism of others. So what does baptism really signify? Why is it one of the only two “sacraments” in the United Methodist Church? And why do we not do it a second time if you don’t recall the first? Today we consider these questions and more as we contemplate the story of the baptism of Jesus.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Our Scripture Reading is from Luke 3:15-17, 21-22 NRSV. People were wondering whether the prophet John might be the Messiah, which means “the annointed one”, the one set aside to deliver Israel from foreign bondage and restore its glory. John explains that it is not he, but Jesus, they should be looking at. John baptizes Jesus, who then receives the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Rev. Dr. Linda Holbrook is “What God Does in Our Baptism”
See this week’s announcements here.
Credits and copyrights
- “Come Be Baptized” words and music by G. Alan Smith. © 1982 Hope Publishing Company. CCLI song #239485, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Wash, O God, Our Sons and Daughters” words by Ruth Duck, music attr. to B.F. White, harm. by Ronald A. Nelson. © 1989 The United Methodist Publishing House (words), 1958 renewed 1986 Broadman Press (music), admin. by Music Services, Inc. CCLI song #2613112, CCLI License #2718708.
- “This is the Day” words from Psalm 118:24, adapt. by Les Garrett, music by Les Garrett © 1967, 1980 Universal Music – Brentwood Benson Publishing (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc.). CCLI song #32754, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Spirit Song” words and music by John Wimber. © 1979 Mercy/Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #2788717, CCLI License #2718708.
- “There’s a Song” words and music by Handt Hanson. © 1996 Changing Church Forum, Inc. CCLI song #2041825, public domain.
- “I Sing Praises” words and music by Terry MacAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Bind Us Together” words, music by Bob Gillman. © Thankyou Music (admin. by Capital CMG Publishing). CCLI song #1228, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.