Even though yesterday we celebrated the birth of Jesus, today we consider a story of him as a youth, from the perspective of his mother Mary. She has already had two surprising situations to think about – the announcement of her pregnancy by angel Gabriel, and the gathering of the shepherds at Jesus’s birth – and now they find 12-year-old Jesus in the temple, acting as if that’s where he belongs. She remembers these situations, and “ponders” them in her heart. As we continue to learn about Jesus, and consider the surprising wonders of God, we join Mary in her pondering.
Our services are being held with in-person attendance at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. Today’s service is provided below in its entirety in video format.
Our Scripture Reading is from Luke 2:41-52. Young Jesus went with his family to celebrate Passover in Jerusalem, as was their custom. As the family was returning home, his parents discovered he wasn’t was with the group. After several days of searching, they found him in the temple talking with the elders. While Mary scolded him for frightening them, she recognized this was an important yet puzzling situation, and she “pondered” it in her heart.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is the one true Church whose faith we support with our prayers, our presence, our giving, our witness and our service.
Our offering is given to the mission and ministry of MHUMC. Remember our gifts come from us, as the people of God, for the work of God, to the Glory of God in the world.
I invite you to give generously, as we worship God through sharing our gifts, tithes, and offerings.
The message today from Trish Catalano is “Ponderings.”
See this week’s announcements here.
Credits and copyrights
- “Love Came Down at Christmas” words by Christina G. Rossetti, music trad. Irish melody, harm. by David Evans. CCLI song #276338, public domain.
- “Infant Holy, Infant Lowly” Polish carol, words trans. by Edith M.G. Reed, tune arr. by Edith M.G. Reed, harm. By Austin C. Lovelace. CCLI song #2868187, public domain.
- “Alleluia” words, music by Jerry Sinclair. © 1972, 1978 Manna Music. CCLI song #16811, CCLI License #2718708.
- “I Love to Tell the Story” words by Katherine Hankey, music by William G. Fischer. CCLI song #29413, public domain.
- “Christmas Hallelujah” words by Kaleb+Casey, music by Leonard Cohen.
- “I Sing Praises” words and music by Terry MacAlmon. © 1989 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (admin. by Integrity Music). CCLI song #17061, CCLI License #2718708.
- “Bind Us Together” words, music by Bob Gillman. © Thankyou Music (admin. by Capital CMG Publishing). CCLI song #1228, CCLI License #2718708.
- All other text on this page © The United Methodist Church of Morgan Hill.